I’d like to announce the 3rd ForgeFed demo! If you missed the 2nd demo, you can find it here. However, due to DB schema changes, some notifications in the previous demo may not be delivered.
In this demo you can create a repo and push commits, and the followers from other instances should be notified.
(1) Register users
Log in or create a new user on both of the 2 test instances listed below:
Generate SSH keys for the users:
ssh-keygen -t rsa -f ./vervis-key
Go to https://forge.angeley.es and click “SSH Keys > Add New”. Fill the form, choosing some identifier (e.g. “test-key” or “laptop” or whatever you wish) and pasting the content of your public key (vervis-demo-key.pub) into the content field. Submit the form.
(2) Create a repo
Browse back to your homepage on the Forge instance, and under “Standalone repos”, click “Create New”. Fill the form:
- Identifier: The repo’s name as will appear in its URL, e.g. “my-repo”.
- Version control system: Pick what you’re comfortable with. In the rest of the instructions I’m assuming you’re using Git; if you picked Darcs, adapt the next steps accordingly.
You can leave the rest as is. Submit the form. You’ll be redirected to the page of your new repo.
(3) Follow the repo remotely
Now we’ll follow your repo from your account on the other instance.
In a new browser tab, go to https://code.angeley.es/publish. Under the form titled “Follow a person, a projet or a repo”, copy-paste the URL of your new repo into both fields. For example, if your username is “alice” and your repo’s identifier is “my-repo”, the URL would look like this: https://forge.angeley.es/s/alice/r/my-repo. Submit the form. You should get a notification at the top of the screen (click it, make sure it says your follow request got accepted).
(4) Push commits
The demo instances run on non-standard ports. Add the following to
Host forge.angeley.es Port 3334 IdentityFile ./vervis-key KexAlgorithms +diffie-hellman-group1-sha1 Ciphers aes128-ctr,aes192-ctr,aes256-ctr,aes128-cbc,3des-cbc Host code.angeley.es Port 3335 IdentityFile ./vervis-key KexAlgorithms +diffie-hellman-group1-sha1 Ciphers aes128-ctr,aes192-ctr,aes256-ctr,aes128-cbc,3des-cbc
Clone your repo:
git clone email@example.com:my-repo
Add content and push:
echo "Hello world!" > file git add file git commit -m "Write some awesome content" git push
Reload https://code.angeley.es. You should see a new notification at the top of the page. Click it and make sure you see a report of the push you made.
End of demo!
Have fun ^ _ ^
– zPlus and fr33
(X) Some notes
- We did a lot of testing, but there may still be bugs! If anything fails or you have questions or comments, write a comment below, or on Freepost, or open a ticket. There’s also an IRC channel (#peers on Freenode) and Matrix (#peers:matrix.org).
- If the instructions above are unclear, please comment and suggest improvements
- The UI is still lacking and some pages just display JSON data instead of human friendly layouts and text. This may make it a bit difficult to navigate things, I’m aware of that, but if it makes it really difficult or impossible to follow the instructions (for example there are many notifications and it’s hard to find the ones you made), please comment here and I’ll see if I can make things a bit nicer visually.
- Occasionally the test instances may crash or be brought down for bug fixing or their data may be cleared (including all user accounts and all messages); if weird things happen and there are no updates here indicating planned maintenance, feel free to ask on IRC/Matrix.